Thursday, 17 May 2012

31 Things: Day 1

Today sees the start of Ali's latest class at BPC ~ 31 Things.  Ali describes the class thus: 31 Things is about capturing life right now but will be much more in-depth on a single daily subject than the documentation you might be used to with projects like Week in the Life or Project Life. This workshop is an opportunity to get specific pieces of your story told with the simple goal of telling more.
Day 1 | Jewellery:
Two rings;
One watch;
No earrings;
Occasional pieces & family heirlooms.
Rings | These rings are my engagement ring and wedding ring.  They are plain platinum bands; the engagement ring has a 1/4 carat princess cut diamond.  My wedding ring hasn't left my finger since The Brainy One put it there on 14 October 2005.  The Brainy One's wedding ring is also a plain platinum band.
Watch | My 40th birthday present from The Brainy One was a Cartier Tank watch with a pink pearl face.  It's a simple design, but beautiful in its simplicity.  I am never without it during my waking hours.
Earrings | I have 2 sets of piercings in my ear lobes, but no longer wear earrings on a regular basis.  Cheap, fashion earrings make my lobes flare up with eczema.  I occasionally wear silver tear drops (bought for our wedding) or silver studs in an intertwined hearts design (a birthday gift from The Brainy One).
The Occasional | I have a few pieces that come out on high days and holidays.  There's my half of a diamond cluster ring left to me by my paternal grandmother (my sister has the other half).  It's in severe need a good clean. 
~ look closely at her finger ~
I have my paternal great grandmother's 22 carat wedding ring from 1905; she had small hands.  There's the white gold and diamond eternity ring Grandad J bought for my paternal grandmother. 
There's a sterling silver bangle from Tiffany, which was a 35th birthday present to myself and worn at our wedding.  There's a silver charm bracelet, which is quite heavy and clanks annoyingly on the desk.  And there's the first piece that The Brainy One ever bought for me in 2004 ~ a three wishes pendant from Links.  It's also in severe need of a good clean.
Maybe I should just clean and wear these pieces?


  





8 comments:

Carrie Rosalind said...

Yay! I'm so glad to see that you're also participating in Ali's 31 Things class...I'm signed up too and I'm so excited to really dive in. I'll look forward to reading your posts every day! :) (and I extra love that old photo of your great-grandparents!)

Sian said...

Yes, I think you should! When I chose my engagement ring I picked one which went with a ring I knew my Grandma was intending to give me ..and now I have it, I keep it safe instead of wearing it. Which is silly.

dogmatix said...

Love the stories behind what are normally seen as 'pretty' things.

And...thanks...I had talked myself out of this class because I have a couple on the go and thought this might be too much! Have now changed my mind and off to sign up :)

Kirsty.a said...

Put them on - my (90year old) Grandmother has so much jewellery and she still wears it all every day. She looks amazing.

Alison said...

I agree!...clean them and enjoy wearing them!
Alison xx

Amy said...

I know what you mean, we received some very good crockery when we were married, I've used the set once ... silly stuff indeed. Every day is a day to be celebrated and is special! Clean them up and wear them ... perhaps not all at once though! ;-)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Those rings are so pretty! You should definitely get them cleaned up & worn

Missus Wookie said...

Wookie informed me that Maplin's put their sonic cleaner on sale every couple of months and then bought one. He's cleaned all the jewelry - well except my wedding & engagement rings as I rarely take them off.

I'm in the clean 'em up and wear 'em camp!