Saturday, 26 May 2012

31 Things: Day 10

Day 10 of Ali's latest class at BPC ~ 31 Things.  Ali describes the class thus: 31 Things is about capturing life right now but will be much more in-depth on a single daily subject than the documentation you might be used to with projects like Week in the Life or Project Life. This workshop is an opportunity to get specific pieces of your story told with the simple goal of telling more. 
Day 10| Evening:
I aim to serve up supper between 5.30 and 6pm.  The Boy Child is more than ready to eat and I try to serve up meals that I know he will be happy with.  I like us to all eat the same.  The Brainy One will join us if he is working from home, otherwise it's just me and TBC, with TBO eating a reheated supper later in the evening.  We always eat at the kitchen table.  The radio provides background news and music.  The television is never on.
TBC knows that, in order to have pudding, he has to eat most of, if not all, his main course.  Pudding is usually in the form of yoghurt or fruit crumble. When he's finished he is expected to remain at the table until TBO and I have finished.  He also has to say thank you and ask to be excused.
While I clear away TBO supervises TBC's reading and spelling homework ~ if he's not home I do it.  The dishwasher is stacked, the dog fed and the dishwasher switched on.  TBO and I try to catch the BBC News.  TBC is allowed a supervised 30 minutes on the iPad watching Thomas and Fireman Sam videos.  After the news TBC has his bedtime milk and we may have a cup of tea.
TBC is then encouraged to tidy away his toys before going upstairs to begin his bedtime routine.  I like this to happen between 7 and 7.15pm, but we often run late.  Once upstairs TBC is expected to get undressed and go in to the en suite bathroom.  He is often distracted from undressing and this leads to lots of nagging on my part.
TBC prefers to shower now, rather than have a bath.  Some nights the shower is merely a quick freshen up.  Other nights involve the whole works, including hair washing.  Teeth are cleaned.  Fingernails and toenails are checked daily and cleaned and/or cut as necessary.  If TBO is home he supervises the drying and pyjamas stage.  For story time TBC likes to either snuggle down in bed or sit on the reader's knee. Then it's time for a make-sure wee and lights out.  This is usually around 8pm.
Once TBC is in bed, I check his school bag for any letters and repack it with his reading book (and spelling book on Fridays).  I prepare his snacks for the next day.  I empty the dishwasher.  I read any emails.  I might play with paper. My pace is slowing down.
I make a pit of tea before 9pm and join TBO on the sofa.  We watch programs like Lewis, The Killing (US version, me), Borgen (brilliant Danish political drama), The Good Wife.  If there is nothing on we want to see we'll watch a few episodes of a box set.  We're currently working our way through ER.
TBO is usually ready for bed by 10.30pm.  We put the dog out for a wee, check everywhere is locked up and everything is switched off and are upstairs by 10.45pm.  I get TBC up for a final wee at 11pm and lights out is usually by 11.10pm.


          

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love this post Ruth. Instilling manners lasts a lifetime. Gracia always says after a meal 'Thank you for my........ please may I get down'.

Amy said...

Yes, we work on the manners too and always eat at the table with no TV on.
Our homework and reading time is 5pm. The children have an hour of free time after school, depending on activities etc, and then we do homework and then it is tea time. They do always have a snack when they get home and bed time is between 7 and 7.30pm.

Sian said...

Your timings are almost exactly the same as ours - and I like the thought of this very much indeed. We'll be eating very shortly and I'll be wishing you a goodnight at the right time tonight

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...