Monday, 21 May 2012

31 Things: Day 5

Day 5 of Ali's latest class at BPC ~ 31 Things.  Ali describes the class thus: 31 Things is about capturing life right now but will be much more in-depth on a single daily subject than the documentation you might be used to with projects like Week in the Life or Project Life. This workshop is an opportunity to get specific pieces of your story told with the simple goal of telling more.   
Day 5| Conversation:
Given that I live in a city of some 7,000,000 people, you would be forgiven for thinking that I must talk to loads on people on a daily basis.  Not so.  On any given day I speak to approximately a dozen people.
I chat, obviously, with The Brainy One and The Boy Child.  I also text and email The Brainy One if the need arises.  
As The Boy Child doesn't yet have full fluidity in the art of conversation, my interaction with him mainly consists of instructions and statements ~ eat your breakfast, please; The Boy Child, come and put your shoes on; I love you; did you have a good day?  On occasion though, he likes to surprise us with his verbal skills ~ Mummy, are we going to the swimming pool on Saturday?  I am always thrilled when he puts a coherent sentence together, one that is used in the correct context.   
I speak to or text my mum a few times a week, with the occasional email thrown in.  I speak to my sister less, not sure why.  I text other family members on an ad hoc basis.
I speak to the Headmaster of The Boy Child's school, the ladies in the office and his teacher on a daily basis, usually for a few minutes.  I speak to a few mums at school on a daily basis as well, but it's small talk with most of them, nothing of any consequence.
I have passing interaction with staff in the supermarket and coffee shop on a fairly regular basis and am at the small talk stage with a few ladies in my Zumba classes.
I talk to myself ... a lot ... usually asking myself what's for supper or has the dog been walked.  I also talk to the radio, particularly when listening to a lunchtime current affairs program ~ Oh, c'mon! 
We live in a noisy world, but I think it's quite clear that it's not down to me.

5 comments:

Sian said...

I'm smiling because I have started to catch myself talking to thin air - TTO is round the house at the minute and he has been known to shout down the stairs - Mum, do you know you are talking to yourself?

Missus Wookie said...

One of the joys of homeschooling is that talking to yourself becomes quite naturally a parent/teacher conference :)

Was out and about in this city of 7,000,000 today and was enjoying the quiet where I could.

Alison said...

when Craig is home, he is forever asking me who I'm talking to..it's either myself or the dog!
Alison xx

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

On school days I am sure I talk to myself mor than I talk to all other people combined.
Granted there are only about 28,000 in the whole county but I rarely run into any of them

Rhona said...

I did smile at this one - I've been known to talk back to the radio/tv -especially when I don't agree with something :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...