Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Photo a Day: 17th July

~ fish and chip supper ~
The Boy Child surprised me by asking for fish and chips and I was happy to oblige.  Fish and chips done well are superb.  And as it happens, there is a newish restaurant cum take away in my home town.  Here in the North, we refer to fish and chip shops as The Chippy.  It's a catch all description and also covers those fish and chip shops that also sell Chinese food.  I know, don't ask, I think it's absolutely a Northern thing.
The Big Cod (what a great name) turned out to be spotlessly clean and excellent value ~ under £10 for two portions of fish, chips and mushy peas (also a Northern thing) and a portion of fish bites with chips, plus two cups of tea and an orange squash.
And that's another tick on my relocation list ~ much cheaper to eat out than in London.  Yesterday's cinema trip also scored highly, coming in at £14 for the three of us.   

5 comments:

Beverly said...

Wow that trip to the movies was considerably less than the one you told us about back in the winter. I think it was 40 for just you and TBC...did he enjoy the movie?

Jo.C said...

Might be northern but the mushy peas are not for me. They do look good though :0)

Alison said...

I do miss 'the chippy' on occasion..you can't beat fish and chips from a good one!
Alison xx

Sian said...

We don't really do mushy peas here (but we do have a thing called chips and gravy) we do call it The Chippy though. Must be an all-round Northern thing!

These look very tasty

Missus Wookie said...

The chippy exists in Essex too. The local one sells mushy peas... I don't indulge.