Wednesday, 10 October 2012

10 Things

I've recently gone back to Facebook after a break of 2 years.
Here's what I've learned {some are tongue in cheek}:
1) Be firm about who you are friends with.  It's okay to not be friends with someone.  If you didn't like them 20 years ago, you most likely won't like them now.
2) Unfriend people if you are uncomfortable with what they post.  Tell them that you are doing so.  The world will not end.
3) Don't post anything you wouldn't say in real life.  Be kind.
4) Use Facebook to see what your brother is up to.  It helps if you have a sister-in-law who is never without a camera.
5) Don't use Facebook as an excuse not to talk to someone face-to-face. Who wants to hear, "I'll Facebook you" when they could hear,"Let's meet up for a coffee and a chat".
6) Use Facebook as a platform to support causes you believe in.
7) Use common sense when using real names and respect people's wishes not to be named.
8) Use Facebook as a means of support when friends are thousands of miles away.
9) Don't update your status every five minutes.  No-one cares that you are on the bus or having a cup of tea.
10) Log out.  Do not check Facebook on your phone, or in the supermarket queue, or when waiting to collect your child.  Interact with what's actually happening around you.

10 comments:

Sian said...

Great points. I'm afraid I'm a complete Facebook failure. I find it so very overwhelming I've got to the point where I don't go near it. Then I feel terribly guilty that I'm missing everyone's news so I go back and try, but I'm not sure it's for me. I like to text much better!

..and now I'm kind of hoping everyone will see this and understand that I'm not ignoring them lol

Ladkyis said...

Facebook is a wonderful tool. It enables people to keep in contact when in real life they think "oh, I was going to ring her today. Never mind I'll do it tomorrow" I always forget but I can put something on their wall to say that I was thinking of them today and they usually respond. My children use it so I see what is going on in their lives without them being constantly aware of mum hanging around. I love it

humel said...

I'm a Facebook refusenik still, though I suspect I'll give in at some point - probably when the kids are a bit older and set up their own accounts - and I shall follow your tips carefully and closely at that point :)

Liz said...

I'm in total agreement with your list. You DN has had his acct for a good few weeks now and has updated his status zero times!! What was the point I ask? xx

Rhona said...

I do use my Facebook account but have to say I apply a lot of the points in your list. I do think it's a good way to keep in touch with friends/family overseas (some of whom don't follow blogs) x

Missus Wookie said...

The rule I have for FB is if I wouldn't have a cup of coffee or join them at lunch why be FB friends?

My sisters do everything on FB so it is a necessity for me to keep in touch. Definitely log out!

Karen said...

I agree with all you say and will not accept friendship from someone who is a friend of a friend, or if I have no other contact with them other than they are my facebook friend.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I love Facebook. I agree about being careful who your friend and about unfriending. It has saved me so much trouble about what I see in my stream

Amy said...

I came here to say exactly what Sian has said - FB and I don't seem to gel, can't get into it at all. Needless to say, my problem is logging ON, not off!

Tammy said...

Super list of great items, Ruth!!