Saturday, 10 November 2012

10 Things

This weekend in the UK is all about remembrance.  Regular readers will know that I have a military background.
I'm from a Forces family.
It's what we do.
With that in mind, I thought I'd share 10 things about service life.
1) I wear my Veteran's Badge on my coat all year long.  I wear the RAF wings in September, for the anniversary of the Battle of Britain, and throughout November alongside my poppy.
 2) I was still a teenager when I joined up.  That's me, middle of the back row.
3) I lived on the Falkland Islands for four months.  The winter months were brutal and everyone wore a gazillion layers when we went outside.   

4) I lived in what was then West Germany for four and a half years.  I remember those years with great fondness and tell people, if they ask what Germany was like then, that they were halcyon days.  A perk of living in Germany meant that new cars were tax-free.
 5)  We worked hard and played hard in Germany.  Three times a year, the majority of the station deployed in to the field for a fortnight on exercise in support of Harrier aircraft.  Remember that the Cold War was still going on, although the end was in sight.
6) I was promoted to junior management while still in Germany and had to return to the UK for six weeks further training at RAF Hereford.  Hereford is a beautiful part of the country and I had many happy times there.
 7) I lived on Ascension Island for six months; it's just 34 square miles of land in the South Atlantic ocean and is seven degrees south of the Equator.  My team and I refuelled any and all aircraft that came our way.
8) I made the friends that I still have today.  Facebook has been great for connecting with old pals.
9) The Royal Air Force taught me about comradeship, loyalty, duty, how to party, discipline, organisation and above all, the ability to keep calm and carry on.
10) I still have my No.1 Uniform and I can still get into it.
**This post was brought to you in connection with Shimelle's monthly 10 Things post **

12 comments:

Margaret Jackson said...

You should write a book ..... seriously!

Alison said...

What an interesting life you have had Ruth!
Alison xx

Abi said...

Oh Ruth these photos brought tears to my eyes. It's not something I talk about much on my blog but my family is connected to the RAF. We lived in the Falkland islands for a year when I was 8 and it was the best year ever, Whilst there we went on holiday to accension island. Thank you for bringing al those memories back for me!

Ladkyis said...

Having two sons in the army whose careers seem to have parralleled yours I know exactly what you mean about Germany and the Faulklands. Having a Dad who survived WW2 showed me how to live with a war veteran. I believe we will always need this special time of the year to order our thoughts and run through our memories so that we can pass on information to the succeeding generations.
I envy you still being able to get into your number ones!!!

Kirsty.a said...

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing that. What exciting places to spend time in

Amy said...

I have very little connection to the military so this was interesting to read.

Missus Wookie said...

Wookie was in the ATC when we met - there is no way he could get into his uniform now - he's grown six inches in height :)

My BIL used to refuel at the Ascension Island and spent time in the Falklands - he also mentioned the cold. My brother mentioned the heat but he spent most of his time in the Gulf...

Interesting to hear your memories - thanks for sharing your ten.

Carrie Rosalind said...

How cool!! What a neat post to be able to read about this part of your life. :)

Sian said...

Argh..just lost a long comment telling you about my friend in school who travelled with her family to Hong Kong and then Germany. We wrote to each other for years

Tammy said...

Wonderful photos! Thanks for all the history. :)

Julia said...

That was a really interesting 10 things - thanks for sharing :)

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

I loved reading this post, Ruth. And it was also fun to see older photos of you - The Boy Child sure bears a resemblance!