Friday, 15 February 2013

Simply a Moment

We are all in the living room.  The curtains are drawn.  Both lamps and wall lights are lit. The Brainy One is sitting at the end of the three-seater brown leather sofa, with one eye on The One Show on BBC1 (where Professor Lord Robert Winston is rabbiting on about his childhood home) and one hand on the dog.  The dog settles himself across The Brainy One's feet, his favourite spot.
The Boy Child is sitting on the carpet, just along from The Brainy One.  (We never did get around to replacing that carpet, which is green and over twenty years old.)  He is watching Lego City videos on YouTube on the iPad.  He is smiling and bouncing in his excitement.
I am sitting on the two-seater brown leather sofa watching them.  On the mantelpiece are our 4 Valentine's Day cards.  In front of the fireplace is a vase which holds the beautiful bouquet The Brainy One gave me yesterday.
There are cream roses, lilies and some things that look like stock but aren't.  They don't smell, sadly.  The triptych mock silver photo frame next to the vase is still waiting for a photo of me to join those of The Brainy One and The Boy Child.  Nobody seems to have noticed the irony in the family photographer not having a recent photo to display.  The bowl of pot pourri, I realise, is still the one from Christmas and probably wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny.
The room is warm and pleasingly clean and tidy.  Trying to sell our house has done wonders for my housekeeping skills.  That and the weekly visit of our lovely Ukrainian cleaning ladies.  I notice that The Brainy One is beginning to nod off.  I glance at the clock; it is 7.15 pm.  It's time for The Boy Child's bedtime milk.  I get up off the sofa.

Alexa, of Trimming the Sails, invites people to share a moment with her around this date of each month. Nothing fancy, just a few well chosen words, or a photo, or a scrapbook page.
What's your moment?

9 comments:

Amy said...

I love it ruth. I love the description of Robert Winston - so apt, and, also the pleasure in relaxing in a comfortable and clean environment ... I always wonder why I wait to clean some parts of the house when it feels so good to sit in them when they are clean! It's a bit like me and the windows, they were cleaned last weekend and it didn't take as long as I thought it would and they look so good!

alexa said...

Beautifully described, Ruth, and I could just picture it ... Beautiful photo, and I love the way you recorded the way your thoughts flickered from the photos to the empty photo frame. A wistful note? Thank-you so much for joining in and posting your link. Hoping the house sale moves along swiftly for you - at least you can enjoy the benefits of a tidy home in the meantime!

Becky said...

I know exactly what you mean about sitting in a lovely clean room. Hope you soon get a photo of yourself to join the photo frame :) xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

I feel like you invited me into your home for a typical evening moment. Very well written.
Rinda

Liz said...

I can just picture the four of you. We'll get you a picture when we go away in July :0)

Alison said...

I felt as though I was sitting in your cosy living room too!
Alison xx

Jennie said...

I felt as if I was sitting right next to you. I loved your moment, thank you for sharing that snippet of family life with a "small one" around - no little ones here , and I miss that. J x

Miriam said...

Visiting from Alexa's blog. Your moment is so warm and cosy, beautifully described. I never think of writing a moment when the house is busy. You have inspired me to try. Thank you.

Missus Wookie said...

Such a nice gentle family moment - I could hear the dog's happy sigh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...