Sunday, 3 March 2013

Storytelling Sunday | My Precious

The first Sunday of the month means that it's time for a story or two over at Sian's place. This is her third year of hosting Storytelling Sunday and the general theme this year is Pick Your Precious.
Meet Chinese Doll.
That's the name she has gone by for over forty years.
I acquired her when we lived in Hong Kong in the early 1970s.
She used to have shoes and a baby, which attached to her back with a sling.  The shoes, baby's outfit and sling were all made from the same fabric as her clothes.
The shoes were lost over the years.
The baby and sling were stolen.
I'd taken her into school for some sort of Show and Tell and forgot to take her home.
When I lifted the desk lid the next morning, she was still there but the baby and sling were gone.
I'm pretty sure that I would have cried.
I never saw them again.
She has lived with me all these years and since that day has never been allowed to leave whatever home I am living in at the time.  Her age is starting to show and she has, in the last couple of years, acquired an injury to her foot.
The Boy Child chewed it.
Did you know that toddlers/children with Autism chew on things far longer than their non-Autistic peers?  No, neither did I then, but I do now.
Her current home is now on top of a shelf in my office, well out of the reach of The Boy Child.

Why not pop over to Sian's and see what other sort of precious items are being shared today?

26 comments:

Amy said...

She looks very special indeed Ruth - what a shame about the baby and the sling being stolen. Actually, I was thinking that there seem to be a few other precious items near Chinese Doll - for another day I suppose?

howpeculiar said...

Very precious, great story. As for the chewing - our youngest (8) still chews the sleeves on her cardigan/school jumper. We go through several a year. Autism is a puzzling thing.

Ladkyis said...

She is so lovely, she needs shoes!

Sian said...

She is absolutely beautiful! It's such a shame that someone couldn't resist helping themselves..I'm hoping that baby has been well looked after. She reminds me of an old Sunday School Prize book we have here, which tells the story of a little Chinese girl with bound feet..yes, it's an old one!

It's so good to see you joining in with your lovely "precious" this month Ruth. Thank you

Jennie Hart said...

What a beautiful doll and I am sure you did cry when the baby and sling were stolen. Thanks for the story.

Karen said...

What a beautiful doll! I can't believe someone took the baby and the sling. I remember my brother chewed a hole in the arm of one of my dolls when he was young. I was furious---and I imagine my mother was not too pleased either!

Sheena said...

What a beautiful doll xI can imaging how upset you must have felt when her baby & sling were taken. Many thanks for sharing x

Irene said...

She is a rather precious doll. I love the old Chinese cloth dolls. They have such character. Such a shame she lost her baby but she is probably glad to have yours in her life.
I have a friend who has two autistic children who are chewers. As you say, it's a strange anomalous.

Elizabeth said...

That is one well-loved doll. Great story.

Mel said...

Aww some jealous child must have nicked the baby and sling! I can imagine how upset you would have been!

Sabrina S. said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story. This doll is really precious. It sure went through some things!
Cheers from France

Jennie said...

Oh - she's beautiful! So sorry to hear she lost her baby - I would have cried! Thanks for sharing, J x

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

What a lovely doll & a wonderful story.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh she is lovely, so sorry that she lost her baby. I know I would have been torn between anger and tears :(

Yep, I did know about the chewing - so sorry it affected your Chinese Doll's foot.

Louise said...

a very pretty doll...certainly very precious.

S said...

She looks the charming sort. I'd like to think her baby ended up in a loving home despite the circumstances, maybe all the more love for being without her true mama.

Beverly said...

What a beautiful precious. I can imagine how upset you were when you opened your desk. I had a "Giggles" doll that I cherished. She had gloriously silky hair. A young cousin spilled milk on her and for whatever reason it made the hair frizz up and get very coarse. Almost 45 years later, I still haven't gotten over it lol

Alison said...

How sad about the baby...I would certainly have cried!
Alison xx

debs14 said...

How lucky that you did not lose the whole doll. I most certainly would have cried to find that part of her had been stolen.
She really is a precious item.

Kirsty.a said...

She is very special, chewed or not. Ladyis is right - she needs shoes

Karen said...

What a beautiful doll and such a shame about her stolen goods!

Becky said...

What a beautiful doll, so sad that someone stole her baby. I didnt know that about autistic children but looking back Penny definitely chewed things and put unsuitable things into her mouth much later than her peers.

Jo said...

She is beautiful.

alexa said...

I love her story, so nicely told, and so sad she lost her little one :(. Tears would have been quite in order. The delicacy of her features and the fabric still shows through - despite the misfortunes of time and Little Ones, she has been clearly loved and cared for.

Gail said...

So sad about her baby. I can quite imagine there were tears. Thanks for sharing her with us.

Chipper said...

She looks like she has been well loved. I can't believe someone stole the baby!