Saturday, 15 June 2013

Simply a Moment

There we are, The Boy Child and me, cuddled up on the sofa together watching the highlights of Trooping the Colour.  The Brainy One is also on the sofa, but he has his head in the iPad, looking at the markets.  He makes a remark about Clare Balding being the BBC's person-to-call-for-all-things-equine.
Then, from nowhere, I hear Dad's voice, clear as day.  "There's nothing new under the sun."  I actually both shiver and laugh out loud.
~ The RAF flying over West London, some five minutes after flying over Buckingham Palace ~
Here I am, approaching middle age, repeating the same events from my childhood and also amending them slightly.  From watching Trooping with my parents and siblings to watching Trooping with my son.
And I like that whole circle-of-life thing, continuity, sameness, call it what you will.
It works for me.

This post was brought to you as part of Alexa's invitation to share a moment.


10 comments:

alexa said...

It is making my spine tingle too :). How lovely to feel we are still part of something which connects us to those we love ... Thank-you so very much for linking in again the month and your wonderful description just captures the moment perfectly...

Sandie said...

Sadly we were out buying a new car so I missed the Trooping of the Colour. Hope it is repeated. Lovely post Ruth.

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

A lovely moment to feel past and present together.

Liz said...

I'm the only one who watched it here. Unfortunately your DN couldn't be persuaded. Maybe I'll pop down and see it at your house next year!!

Cheri said...

Sounds like a very special moment.

Beverly said...

Oh, I do too, Ruth, it makes me feel a part of something that will last beyond me because it has lasted beyond those before me.

Missus Wookie said...

The circle of life is such a wonderous thing isn't? Love moments that remind me of that.

Becky said...

A lovely moment :)

Miriam said...

Oooh! I love moments like this too, beautifully told Ruth.

Jennie said...

Oh - so beautifully captured - Thanks for sharing you moment with your boy. J x