Monday, 14 April 2014

What Are You Reading?

Last week, I saw the film Philomena.  It's the true story of how a young and unmarried girl was forced by the Catholic Church to give up her child in 1950s Ireland and stars Judi Dench and Steve Coogan.  The film received a lot of press coverage when it was released late last year and I recently heard the real life Philomena being interviewed on the radio.
I am both Catholic and Irish by ancestry, although, in 2014, I would claim to be neither.
I wanted to know more of Philomena's story.
Martin Sixsmith, the journalist who helped Philomena to discover the truth about her son's forced adoption, has written a book worthy of the subject matter.  He has used official records and interviews to piece together this story and the end result is unputdownable.
See the film, by all means.
But read the book, too.
Neither will disappoint.

3 comments:

debs14 said...

I love it when someone recommends a good book, I will definitely check this one out. I'm reading Another Life by Sara Macdonald at the moment which is a lovely easy read. Would be a good holiday book!

Missus Wookie said...

Was talking about this story at the weekend with a similarly aged Philomena - quite fascinating. Although as a Kenyan Quaker their backgrounds were fascinating there were similarities too.

Gail said...

I'll have to check it out - I was just wondering what I was going to read next.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...