Sunday, 15 June 2014

It's Down to Interpretation

The definition of family is constantly evolving, and every person can define family in a different way to encompass the relationships he/she shares with people in his/her life.  As a genealogist, I believe that family in the traditional sense makes for a biological fact and not necessarily a relationship. 
And as I've grown older, I've come to realise that the people you can be closest to don't have to be related through DNA or marriage and you don't have to have known them for a lifetime.
We are blessed to be building a network of friends locally who are becoming so important to us, as well as maintaining those vital friendships of long-standing. 
Who do you have in your life that you think of as family?

6 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

We definitely have friends who feel like family. And, since both our kids are adopted, I definitely believe that love is not dependent on blood ties.
Rinda

Ladkyis said...

We have always told people that if they visit more than once they must be family and family can learn where everything lives that is needed to make tea and coffee. I grew up as an only child in a huge family of cousins and honorary aunts and uncles. My husband also has lots of cousins. It was one heck of a shock to my son-in-law the first time he visited - perhaps I'll tell that story on my blog.

scrappyjacky said...

The old saying is so true 'friends are the family you choose for yourself'.

Sian said...

My Mum's college friend who died recently, she was definitely family; and I have a couple of friends from school who are family too. I love the fact that they knew me when I wasn't a grown up.

alexa said...

Your photos shows such close and loving bonds - I guess that's as good an ingredient as DNA ...

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I love these sweet photos, Ruth - the happy relationships are so apparent in each of them. I have a few people in my life that are more like sisters than just friends. It's lovely, isn't it? :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...