Friday, 26 February 2016

Farewell

Mum's funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon.
Although very cold, the sun came out.
~ view from Mum's back door ~
The Brainy One and I had travelled up on Tuesday evening, along with 
my friend-who's-like-my-brother.  Other good friends, who had also travelled up on Tuesday, were staying in an hotel a mile from Mum's house and invited us to join them for breakfast on
 Wednesday morning.  That was such a thoughtful gesture and I'm so glad that we accepted.
Five cooked breakfasts ordered and consumed.  
Mum had left detailed instructions of how she wanted her funeral to be: 
a short service at the Crem and a longer Service of Celebration at her church.
 I wrote the family's eulogy and The Brainy One delivered it.  
He did a brilliant job, speaking for ten minutes.  Mum had requested something that showed 
she hadn't always been boring.  It was hard turning turning hilarious family stories into something that other people would find amusing, or at least smile at, but I'm proud that I achieved that.
Mum's favourite flowers were yellow roses and they're what Dad always bought for her.
There were two sprays: a large one from me, my brother and sister, 
and a smaller one from the two grandsons.    
 I bought a single stem home with me last night. 
  Mum had stipulated that there shouldn't be too much black ...
 "Your dad always said black didn't suit me" ... and one of her favourite poems was Warning by Jenny Joseph ... "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple."  
I was fortunate to receive a number of supportive messages on Wednesday morning.
The best one?  
Just four words ... you can do this.

And I did. 

9 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Sweet Ruth. My heart really goes out to you this morning as I read your post. It's so surreal to see your mom's face on that program cover. I remember staring at my mom's in disbelief. I also remember coming away from my mom's service feeling like it had been a beautiful tribute to her. It sounds like your mom's was the same for her. How wonderful that she was able to contribute by expressing just what she wanted that day to be like. Thinking of you and holding space in my heart for you, dear friend. xo

Patio Postcards said...

I like the poem Warning. You can & you did. One moment, one day is all you have to do any given time. Thinking of you & your family.

Sian said...

Yes you did x

Jo.C said...

Sounds like you did her proud, think the purple looks great xx

Becky said...

I think you did her proud. x

debs14 said...

Sounds like you followed her instructions to the letter and celebrated her life in a lovely service.

Tammy said...

Beautiful Ruth and I am sure your Mum is proud of you!!!

Alison said...

I am so glad things went as your mum wanted...and you were always going 'to do it'! Hugs xx

alexa said...

Indeed you did. With thoughtfulness and grace ... I hope, looking back, you can feel it too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...