Thursday, 7 April 2016

An Unconscious Healing Process

There have been times over the last eight and a half weeks
where I have temporarily forgotten that Mum has died.
I hear my 'phone beep and think it's a text message from her.
I hear the thud of post on the door mat and look for her oh-so-familiar handwriting.
I know that forgetting is a part of the healing process, but that doesn't make it any less weird.   
I read something recently in a favourite novel.  
A story that I've read several times and yet have never
 fully absorbed this piece of narrative before ...
"And gradually ... memory slipped a little, as memories do, 
even those with so much love attached to them; 
as if there is an unconscious healing process within the mind
 which mends us in spite of our desperate determination never to forget."

That short passage is just about perfect.
That's how it's been.
An unconscious healing process.   

{I have a post scheduled about which particular novel I'm referencing}  



5 comments:

debs14 said...

What a beautiful quote and so true. Our minds and bodies have resilience that we cannot quite comprehend sometimes.

Patio Postcards said...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful quote. That is the gift of writing & books, sometimes they bring us the words strung into a feeling.

My Mom has been gone a long time, & for me, what was hardest was loosing the sound of her voice, although if I shut my eyes tight & feel really hard, I can still hear her call my name.

Sian said...

That's very lovely. It reminds me of a piece by Willa Cather

Yes. It's a strange feeling

Liz said...

The quote is perfect.
I have days like that too. I'll think "Oh I'll tell mum that" or I'll see a film she mentioned and think "I'll tell mum I saw that film" and then realise I can't. xx

alexa said...

This is such a lovely quotation, Ruth- I didn't know it, so thank-you. I recognise the feeling, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...